Friday 12 July 2024

Canon 6D

I had been thinking of getting another DSLR mainly because they arent making any more! If you are familiar with my blog posts you will know I prefer them over mirrorless for a variety of reasons, if not and interested look at my previous posts… already covered it extensively! I was considering getting a 7D mk2, but after much deliberation I decided on the Canon 6D I’ve had it a few months now actually, I love how light and compact it feels compared to some rigs I’ve used, even feels lighter than my 7D mk1. Also got the Canon 17-40mm f4 lens to go with it, (I already had some prime lenses that are full frame compatible, the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 STM lens produces super sharp images on the 6D) 17-40mm is a perfect range for my street photography, also got the Canon EF 24-105mm f3.5/5.6 IS STM lens for a bit longer reach should I need it, (Its also a very useful range on my 7D crop sensor) some people give it a bad rap, but it’s a fine lens really, sharp, and with the 6D being good with high ISO’s not being a wide aperture lens isnt such a problem, the IS helps too. Anyway, I will mostly be using the 17-40 and the primes with it.

 

Took me a while to find a decent one, being an old camera (all my cameras are old, but very capable in the right hands) most I saw were quite the worse for wear! I got one in like new condition with a low shutter count from my favourite used dealer, Harrison cameras of Sheffield, UK. Didn’t take me long to bond, for want of a better word, with the 6D, and I’m enjoying using it! I always shoot in raw mode whatever I am using, as I enjoy processing the files, I find the raw files from the 6D effortless to work on! Cant wait to see some large prints from it, its all the quality of a 5D mk3 in a lighter body, albeit with some minor sacrifices which aren’t a problem for me, in fact I prefer the lighter body (and the cheaper price) I find it funny that some describe the Canon 6D as an “entry level full frame camera” Entry level, really! I was using full frame cameras before digital was a thing! Even large and medium format…full frame cameras! 😂

 

I will still use my Canon 7D, it’s a quality image making tool and I have some fine crop sensor lenses to go with it, and off course I also have my trusty compact camera the Lumix LX100, another great image making tool and useful for travelling light and fast. Can’t imagine wanting any more camera bodies, if anything I might get some more lenses but don’t even need them really? As I’ve already said I am not interested in mirrorless cameras (apart from my compact) and I think we reached peak image quality a long time ago, how much IQ does one need? Surely the actual image itself, the subject, the framing, the creativity of photography is far more important and to the point. An average image taken with the most expensive equipment money can buy...is still an average image! “The photographer is the instrument not the camera” – Eve Arnold. Indeed, the biggest variable is the person behind the camera, ergo your equipment is to a certain extent…Irrelevant.  


No comments: