Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Digital Darkroom example - adobe lightroom

The above image is the original Raw capture straight out the camera, with no work done on it. I could have done a better job regarding exposure but I like the end result after working on it. Thats an advantage of shooting in Raw, you have a lot more to work with, a 12bit or more file compared to approx 8bit jpeg file.

This is after working on the image using adobe lightroom, I mainly got lightroom for processing Raw files, but its a great programe, I prefer using it to photoshop or paint shop pro (and I prefer paint shop pro to photoshop) I think photoshop is just to complicated. Lightroom is a lot more user freindly, and in my opinion better at doing what it does, it seems to be more geared/specific for use by photographers. I used a variety of tools in the develop tab to alter the exposure, contrast, brightness and clarity in certain areas of the image. I also used the luminance and saturation tabs in the colors to enhance the blue and clouds in the sky, giving the same effect as a polarizer filter. Also used the green and yellow saturation to enhance the color in the tree. Taken with my Canon 30D, Raw capture, iso 100, at f11.

2 comments:

Trevor David Betts BA (Hons.) said...

It seems to be a decent piece of kit. But IMO that is what is wrong with digital photography. Remember the old adage: 'The Camera Never Lies'. Well it ruddy well does with digital.
To a certain extent even with film based wet process photography you could say that, that also is manipulated to a certain degree (as soon as you put a filter onto your camera or burn or dodge in the darkroom). But personally I want to known as a 'Photographer' a maker and taker of images and not a Computer Operator or Image Distorter (Inventor of Visual Lies). Because let's face that's what modern technology is.

Tim Everett said...

With programes like this it certainly makes it a lot easier, to do the same in a conventional darkroom, dodging and burning etc, you would need to be very skilfull! I think its all a bit of a grey area (no pun intended) when you think how images from film can be manipulated, thinking of people like 'weegee' and Man Ray. At the end of the day, its just another tool, and iv got nothing against using tools that make life easier. Iv spent hours working on one print in the darkroom, trying to get things right! I do prefer film for b/w, digital b/w images seem to be lacking a certain something.